APEC Senior Officials’ Meeting 2 (SOM2) media kit
Sawasdee, welcome once again to all media participants.
The upcoming official meetings are scheduled to be held on 9 – 19 May 2022 in Bangkok, with the Second Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM2) and related meetings. This year SOM2 will be open for participation as a hybrid (physical and virtual) event.
We will provide the media with an access to everything they need to cover SOM2 and related meetings and activities
The media conference will be held with the APEC 2022 SOM Chair and APEC Secretariat Executive Director on Thursday 19 May 2022, where media based anywhere will be able to participate and discuss Thailand’s host year, including the policy priorities for APEC 2022.
This media kit provides supporting materials for SOM2, as well as a guide to registering and participating in the APEC 2022 SOM2 media conference.
- For those who completed prior APEC2022 registration
Media who already completed the online registration through the APEC 2022 Media Portal can participate in the SOM2 media conference either physically and virtually, with instructions as follows:
1.1 Physical participation
– Kindly provide your logistical information in the APEC 2022 Media Portal and select “physical” in the section “Type of meeting you have to attend” and provide your travel information.
– For media who have permanent residency or work permit in Thailand (with an authorized press card), please select the category “Thailand based”. No need to provide your travel information.
1.2 Virtual participation
– Please log in your account on the APEC 2022 Media Portal and select to participate the SOM2 media conference online. The access for participating in the SOM2 media conference will be provided to registered media in the APEC 2022 Media Portal prior to the event.
- For new registration
The Department of Information, Ministry of Foreign Affairs will be responsible for media registration. Media participants who wish to enter APEC events will need to apply according to the following guidelines:
- Register by sending an application by email to [email protected] only, otherwise you will not be able to access the media portal or media conference
The registration email must contain the following information
- First name and surname
- Email address
- Media organisation
- Letter confirming employment by your media organisation (on your organisation’s letterhead)
* Media registration for SOM2 needs to be done by 17 May 2022.
- After your application is approved, the APEC Thailand team will contact you by e-mail for further information to complete your registration which must be done online through the APEC 2022 Media Portal. ** Kindly identify your type of participation (virtual or physical) in the registration
- The APEC 2022 Media Portal will provide media participants with access to the SOM2 media conference and any other parts of the SOM2 programme open to the media.
- Further details regarding press/media on Thailand’s APEC 2022 host year program will be made available and updated on apec2022.go.th
- If you need assistance with the registration process at any stage, please contact [email protected]
SOM2 media conference
Time (tentatively) : Thursday 19 May 2022 at 12.30 – 13.15 hrs BKK time (05.30 – 06.15 GMT).
Venue: Next 2 Chaopraya Room, 1st Floor, Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok and through online platform (Microsoft Team)
Focus: The media conference will be held on the final day of the SOM2 meetings. It will provide the media with an opportunity to ask questions about developments in Thailand’s host year, policy priorities, important takeaways from SOM2, and ways forward.
- SOM Chair 2022 – Mr. Thani Thongphakdi, Permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs of Thailand
- APEC Secretariat Executive Director – Dr. Rebecca Sta Maria
- Mr. Tanee Sangrat, Director-General of the Department of Information and Foreign Ministry Spokesperson – as the moderator
Format (hybrid event) :
- Online participants log into the virtual media conference platform –one hour before the media conference begins. Instructions will be available to all registered media.
- Registered physical participants are invited to be at the venue about 30 minutes prior to the event.
- The moderator will explain how the media conference will be conducted.
- The SOM Chair’s opening remarks.
- A short Q&A session will follow – the moderator will direct media to ask their questions both on-site and on-screen and then direct each question to the most appropriate speaker.
- Online participants will be invited to submit questions before or during the media conference, questions submitted via private chat during the media conference will also be accepted. Media allocated questions might be invited to ask their questions on-screen.
Media conference materials: After the close of the virtual media conference, registered media will be sent a link to download the following media materials:
- A recording of the media conference.
- Individual video files for each speaker during the virtual media conference, including media asking questions.
- Behind-the-scenes footage and still imagery of the media conference in progress. (TBC)
- During SOM2 meeting, there are activities and excursions open for press and media can participate as attached programme Members of the press and media who wish to participate in those activities can include their confirmation (please mention specifically for each activity) through [email protected]
- Some activities have limited number of participants, so the confirmation will be provided to each participant prior to the date of activities.
Press Division, Department of Information,
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand
Tel. (+66) 2203 5000 ext. 22025, 22921
Fax (+66) 2643 5101
E–mail: [email protected]